Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Dreaming in Dimes

As I walked along the sidewalk of a very busy Portland street today, I was much enjoying Sean Nelson sing Flagpole Sitta in my ear. I was bee-bopping along, and spotted a dime on the ground. A fleeting thought, as I passed the dime, questioning myself as to why I hadn't stopped to pick it up. After a little more thought, I wasn't really sure if I normally would have bothered to stop and swoop it up or not. However, on this particular day I was on a schedule. I had a plan, and I didn't figure a dime was worth my time.

While still listening to the same catchy tune by Harvey Danger and continuing my walk, I passed yet another dime. Now, this was a little odd. Some time ago, it was shoes I happened upon in my daily walk. But, not today. Today, it was dimes. What does this mean? It has to mean something, right?

I began wondering if it had something to do with the number 10. Does it mean there's power in numbers? Will something happen in 10 days? What was I doing 10 days ago? Is life only worth a dime? I remember dime store candy... Should I smoke a dime bag? What's the correlation between dimes and nickels, anyway? Does this mean something in terms of my walking?

And then, I began really searching the ground after this...for more dimes? Possibly. Or, for something else that could clue me into what this all means.

I didn't see anymore dimes along my route; however, I did see more numbers. I saw an empty package that read Lucky 7's. Not sure what the package contained, originally. I saw many more cigarette butts than I wanted to bother counting. I saw one golf tee in the bark dust in front of a lovely duplex. What does all this mean? Numbers? Is it really the number 7 that I should concentrate on? Or, could it be the difference between 10 and 7? Is there some significance in the number 3 for me today? I couldn't think of anything. Still can't.

I had a great walk, at any rate. And, I still feel like I'm walking around in a dream. Will someone please wake me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Moon said...

Are you the dreamer? Or the dream-ee?

Have you considered adding all the numbers: 27? Or subtracting them: -7? Or stringing them together: 10107? Multiplying them: 700?

Numbers are fascinating, but finding patterns in them can drive ya crazier. :)

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home