Monday, July 14, 2008

Baseball Never Ends

When softball and baseball season started this year, I had no idea how it would affect me.

With each and every game, my heart grew more fond of not only the game...but the sense of community and family that it brought to my heart, as well. I haven't felt more "at home" than I have in years. Sitting on the sidelines with my family, cheering on my daughter as she learned the "door knockers" approach to holding a bat this year. Or, cheering on my great-nephew in his orange socks as he tore around the bases. And, the latest was cheering on my nephew, and his dad, the coach, as their team went all the way to the County tournament.

I felt like I knew every player...as if they were part of my family. I felt victory in my heart with every base hit or home run, as well as the sad disappointment with every strike out or caught pop-up.

The season is over for my family...but luckily, it will come around again in the blink of an eye...

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Moon said...

That perfectly captures what makes baseball so interesting to me and millions of others.

Whether it's a Little League team, or a local High School team, or a AAA or even Major League team, there's something about following them from game to game, watching the individual efforts that make up the collective team, seeing them face off against opposition that sometimes can't compete and sometimes seem unstoppable...

It's easy to grow attached, especially since baseball is played at a much slower pace than other sports. Football and basketball, I'm lookin' at you with your crazy-fast action. The slower pace of baseball is a feature, not a bug.

Thanks, Tracy, for sharing.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home