Thursday, February 09, 2006

Sleepless in Seattle

Have you ever felt complimented and creeped-out at the exact same time? I have. I do. And, here’s how.

Let me give you some background. I met a guy online about three years ago. We dated, long-distance, since then, until about a year ago. We had some good times. But, we also had some bad times. Now, within those couple of years, there would be month-long breaks here and there where I would get sick of his shit. And, by shit, I mean intolerance, criticism, as well as judgmental, projecting, and aloof behaviors. Not to mention no sign of commitment. During those times, I would not only NOT want to talk to him or see him anymore….I WOULD TELL HIM SO. Indeed, I would make it very clear. However, this man would always be persistent and continue to call or e-mail, and I would always give in and talk to him again…eventually. Now, mind you, I like persistent men. However, this one…he’s gone overboard.

The last time I actually talked to him was in October 2005…early in the month. It took about a month or so, but he finally quit pestering me. But not until AFTER I made a filter on my work e-mail to send a response looking like it came from the administrator stating that I did not wish to receive e-mails from this party any longer. Nor, after I had blocked him from e-mailing me on my personal account. It seemed as if he were getting the point. Finally. Oh, there would be a periodic phone call or e-mail here and there, especially on a holiday, but for the most part it seemed as if he had finally gotten the point. Quiet. Peace. At last.

However, most recently, he has begun calling me again. With a vengeance. After FOUR MONTHS. Okay, maybe only three…but still. I’m talking DAILY. Not only does he call, but he leaves messages as if he thinks I might want to talk to him. He text messages me, as well. Sometimes even DIRECTLY AFTER I have ignored his previous call. If those don’t work, he tries the e-mail route again. He is constantly telling me how I ‘NEED’ to do this or that… completely ignoring any of our previous conversations. Or, sometimes he’ll even insult me or try to guilt me into calling him. I think on one occasion he pulled the nice card, and tried to sweet talk me into calling him. In my head, it seems as if he’s thinking…’Just let me get her on the phone. I know I can get to her if she’d only talk to me.’

Why won’t he simply let it go? Why won’t he move on and harass someone else? There’s got to be someone else to harass, right? He lives in Seattle, of all places. There’s plenty o’ women in Seattle to harass.

A friend of mine says this guy is mentally ill, even diagnosed it as delusional. That he’s breaking all the rules.

Should I be complimented that he wants to talk with me (or whatever) just THAT bad? Or, should I be filing harassment charges? Is it wrong that I’m getting amusement out of ignoring his attempts at contacting me? What will be next – telegrams? Smoke signals?

Who knows. But I’ll keep ya’ll posted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian Moon said...

I think "Senseless in Seattle" would have been more appropriate...

If it's been since October '05, it's been at least four months, not three, since you talked to him.

10:51 AM  
Blogger erraberra said...

Ooooh...good one. Man, I wish I were a writer like you! I'm just a wanna-be. ;-)

Oh, yeah...FOUR months since I've actually talked to him, but three months since he was bugging me last.

Go figure.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Christi Lee said...

Oh shit girl! Between you and I, I know what you are going through. Best thing to do is call him five times a day untill he gets the popo on you. Then, MAYBE it will stop. Guys are fucking insane.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home