Tuesday, October 31, 2006

To be shy, or not to be shy? THAT is the question.

It’s funny to me when I think about whether I’m a shy person or not. I can be shy; however, I can also be very outgoing, in-your-face kind of person, at the very same time. I think it depends on the situation in which I find myself.

Around my friends and family, I am the life of the party – always trying to make someone laugh. I’ll be the first to comment in almost any given situation. Especially in terms of “breaking the ice.”

Around strangers, I am a flirt by nature (some have even called me a man-magnet – I’m not sure if they were making fun of me, or not), so if there’s men involved, I’m probably not shy. I like shock value, and will say things to either shock them, or to make them laugh. I try this with either gender, actually…so no discrimination on the “flirting,” necessarily.

I’m also the type of person that merely gets the job done. So, if there’s something to do – I don’t usually hem and haw about it – I go for it! If I see something I like, I go after it. In some form or another.

I remember a time in my late teens or early twenties when I was with my friends (individuals I called friends at that time) in a dance club. I don’t have much recollection of detail, but I do know that I saw the most beautiful man I’d ever seen, to date, standing on a nearby wall. I thought about it for all of 2.4 seconds before I was in his face, telling him just that. To be honest, I don’t remember exactly what I said, but I do remember conveying that he, indeed, was the most beautiful creature I’d ever seen in my life. Mind you, it did me no good. I did not dance with this young man. I did not talk to this young man any further. No phone numbers were exchanged. However, on that night…he left that dance club with the knowledge that he was a handsome fellow (as if he doubted).

If I’d have acted different, or the opposite, would the result have turned out in my favor? I doubt it, but possibly. I honestly doubt that he’d even have noticed me. But, who knows?

I haven’t always been this way, though. And, in high school I can remember being very shy. I would usually live vicariously through my more outgoing friends. I’d gain friends because my friends were more outgoing. The only reason I really ever even talked to the more popular crowd was because of my outgoing friends.

If I’d have acted different, or the opposite, would the result have turned out in my favor? Yes, undoubtedly. I could have had a lot more fun in my high school years, I’m sure. However, I think I’m okay with the fact that I didn’t.

In the end, everything happens for a reason.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Moon said...

I so envy you your outgoingness.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home